Sunday, September 18, 2016

Course Blog: Mohawk Hills golf course



Hey Gang,

So I was fortunate to get out and play 9 holes of golf at a course close to my house. Mohawk Hills Golf Course on the Kahnawake Reserve.

Mohawk Hills is a 9 hole par 32 course. 5 par 4 holes and 4 par 3 holes.


Hole 1 is a 112 yard par 3. I hit my first shot to the right of the sand trap. I chipped on and 3 put for 5 strokes. Not a great start. But I didn't warm up at all.

Hole 2 is 278 yard par 4. I hit a really good drive to just before a small water hazard in the middle of the fairway. I then pitched it on. My 52 degree gap wedge proved to be on fire today. I then 3 putted again. I just missed my par by a ringer put. So 5 stokes. However I am usually happy with a bogey.

Hole 3 is a 140 yard par 3. I hit off the tee with a 7 iron and hit it pin high but just on the edge of the green. I then used my hybrid 4 the putt it to the hole since I felt the grass on the right side of the ball was too thick to attempt a putt with my putter. It work and kicked the ball to about 6 feet from the hole. I then put it in for par! 3 strokes. Happy days!

On the way to tee 4 I saw this little guy.
I had to snag a pic. I wonder what his handicap is?


Hole 4 is a 283 yard par 4 dogleg to the left. I flubbed my tee shot hit it just a little beyond the ladies tee. Ugh. I then shanked it with my hybrid and put it in the trees on right. I took a strok and brought it back out to the edge. I then hit a nice easy shot to the bend. So I was at 4. It took me another 4 stokes to finish the hole. 8 stokes. Sigh.

Hole 5 is a 333 yard par 4. I hit a bad drive into the trees on the left. It turns out it bounced into the fairway of hole 6. I took a mulligan off the tee. I figured what the hell. I hit a grass cutting low ball about 150 yards I'd say. Not my best drive. I then tried to keep it simple and just advance it with a 7 iron but miss hit it into the trees. I then pitched it out to the top edge of a sand trap on the other side. I could finally see the green. I hit it with my 3 iron just to keep low and I got it close to the green I then chipped it on a two put. 7 strokes. I felt my confidence slipping. I tried to let the holes in the past stay there and moved on.

Hole 6 is a 233 yard par 4. I cleared my head. I hit a pretty good drive into those trees on the left. 
I then went up and couldn't find my ball. I dropped another and tried to again hit it into the trees on the left. I then went up and actually found my first drive. It was unplayable so I switched and took a stroke and dropped it. I pitched it on the green and made 1 putt to hole the ball. Holy crap for crap did I just par this hole I thought? I did. 4 strokes.

So at this point I counted my score so far. I realized that if I took less than 18 strokes on the last three holes I would finish with less than 50 strokes for 9 holes. I suddenly had a goal.

Hole 7 is a 283 yard par 4. Sorry guys I don't remember this hole clearly enough. Nothing drastic happened to make it memorable. I managed to bogey the hole. 5 strokes.

Hole 8 is a 160 yard par 3. I hit it to the right. chipped it a little hard and ended up just on the other side of the green. Flubbed my next chip 3 feet. Not on the green yet. I then chipped it on and made a 7 foot putt for double bogey. 5 strokes.

Hole 9 is a 176 yard par 3. So at this point I am feeling pretty good. All I have to do is score less than 8 strokes and I will have scored less than 50 strokes for this round. So of course I tee off into the woods on the right. I went in and couldn't find my ball. The only one I actually lost today. So I took a stroke and dropped a ball. I then skulled my chip and landed on the high side of a green side sand trap. Not too worry I am not intimidated by sand traps. However it had rained yesterday and the sand trap had these little divots and gullies all over the place. Guess who's ball was in one of those? Oh well pull up your pants and get to work. The real trick to a sand trap stroke is if you decided to take sand with the ball. (the traditional method) Hit the sucker hard. No I mean hard. I did just that and my ball popped up and out. So where are we now. 1 in the woods, 2 for the drop, 3 into the sand trap and 4 on to the green. I lag putt to about 6 feet and then putt the ball in. 6 strokes. Woo Hoo! 

I added up and hit a 48 for a par of 32 so I was 16 over par.  Now I know I haven't really broken anything as far as goals go. I know I didn't actually break 50 strokes for 9 holes. Well I did but this is only a par 32 course. so if I am being generous I could add 4 strokes and that is what I might have gotten on 9 holes for a more regular 36 par course. 

Nontheless I was happy with my round. As well I am really happy with the course. It cost 15$! Let me repeat 15$! I am going to become a regular at Mohawk Hills golf course. I am supposed to go out with a friend next week. I am going to convince him Mohawk Hills is where we need to play.

Dave aka The Golfing Gamer

No comments:

Post a Comment