Thursday, September 1, 2016

Positive feedback circle = fun golf

Hey Gang,

So last Saturday I went to Ottawa with a buddy and we met up with an old friend of ours. We then headed to Cloverdale Links golf course. We planned on doing 9 holes because neither of my buddies could handle 18. I was fine with that because just getting the chance to play golf and spend some time with two of my closest friends was the primary goal.

We got there on time but we were also able to share a practice bucket at their range.

I had already helped, we'll call him, M with driving and practice the week before. So I showed, we'll call him, B Robert Bernard's driving set up. B ended up liking it and once he got used to hit he was hitting really well off the tee later in the round.

The first hole was horrible for all of us. I got back into my game on the second. On the third we let a couple play though. It was really hot and humid so we didn't mind at all. Unknown to me M had some anxiety playing because he felt that he couldn't drive the ball as far as B and I. So he felt he was slowing us down. He wasn't really. B would hit OK off the tee but M and B were about equal when it came to mid and short game. So M decided to tee off from the ladies tee box aka the beginners tee box. It made all the difference. Before I was hitting my drives about 50 to 60 yards farther than M. Once he started hitting from the beginners tee box he was now only 20 to 30 yards behind. He felt better and it had a direct affect on his game as well. He started having a much more fun time.

At the time I wasn't sure about B. But in the end he said he had a really good time as well.

They both would like to maybe get in one more round in late September or early October.

I was really pleased that they both had fun. I shot a 56 and the two of them shot a 69 for M and a 70 for B. So none of us were scoring well. But that wasn't the goal I set for myself that day. The goal was to have fun with some close friends.

The highlight for me was hole 7. We all hit really nice drives. B beat me buy 5 yards or so. As well M was up with us. Then a threesome came up and asked to play through. We said sure. We weren't in a rush. I just found it ironic that on the one hole we all hit really well off the tee that we let a group play through. No egos here we were very slow.

We then had some food together and M and I drove back to Montreal. M and I talked about the game and golfing the whole ride back.

We had an awesome day. M told me it was the best time he has ever had playing golf. A win in my book.

So next week I have a Vegas 4 ball best ball tournament with my work social club. I am looking forward to playing and then dinner and dancing.

Who knows this year I might win one of the prizes or maybe beat the Pro. like I did last year.

Dave aka The Golfing Gamer

No comments:

Post a Comment