Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Practice at Patton's Glen 9 hole par 3

Hey how are you guys?

I am doing pretty good. I was able to head out to my local 9 hole par 3 course to play tonight. I go to Patton's Glen 9 hole par 3. My very first outing this summer was there. I was alone this time and decided to play two balls. Both of my scores this time beat my first time out. So I was happy with that. I also changed the way I was teeing off. I decided to tee off not using a tee. Therefore making it seem like my starting short game shots were from the fairway on a regular sized course. I was trying to simulate real short game conditions. I think had I teed off using tees I would have scored lower. But the score was not my goal. My goal was practicing my short game.

I was certainly not as consistent off the ground instead of a tee. However I started a new chipping technique. As well I started using a different putting setup and technique. Both of those techniques come from David Leadbetter. There are a bunch of his videos online. I watched one of his series from the early 90's. Go on youtube search for "David Leadbetter The Short Game" you will find a 6 part video series.

The chipping technique involves chocking up on the club and changing the grip and swing to more of a putting swing. This technique allows for more control and for less to go wrong. Or so says David Leadbetter.

Well let me tell you he knows what he is talking about. I managed to make a bunch of short 15-20 yard chips onto the green. In the past I was all over the place with chipping. I didn't know if I needed to swing with my wrist or not. I was all over the place and my chips were as well. Many times in the past I would putt from the green side rough because I was afraid I would skull the ball and send it across the green. I would think at least with a putt it stays on the ground.

Now although I need more practice to find out how each club reacts to the same power. I used a 7 once to chip and run it close to the hole. I used my gap wedge to do a nice little lob chip to get over a nasty sand trap onto the green. I was really happy with both those chips. I really do like this new technique.

Putting the game within a game they say. Well I think I was putting slightly better. The big difference for me was to take 2 practice swings. The 2 practice swings help me judge the power of the stroke. A number of times things worked out. I missed the lag putt but was close enough to sink afterward. As well David Leadbetter says for you to develop a 1-2 tempo. I started  using the same swing tempo. The tempo is supposed to stay the same. The speed and length of the swing produce the power. I still had a bunch of 3 putts but they were mainly from a rim shot. So I was pretty happy with the changes to my putting swing overall.

All in all I was pretty happy with my double round at Patton's Glen this evening.  

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment