Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Used golf clubs for my kid

So My son is 8 going on 9 in September. He has asked to go golfing with me. I got into golfing when I was 10-11 I guess. Which was just tall enough to use my Dad`s clubs. My Dad is a lefty. I am a righty. So at one point we went down to the local gofl club and my Dad asked the manager if he could pick out a set of clubs for my little brother and I. He said yes. We played with those clubs for a few years until my Dad got us identicle Wilson sets. I still use most of the irons from that Wilson set. I still have the 3 wood too. I want to replace that sucker. Actually I want a full new set but I promised myself I wouldn`t buy a new set until I broke the elusive 100 stroke score for a typical 18 hole course.

So I have a small budget for golf. I am willing to get Aiden some junior clubs but a new set could cost $100! Even a used set on kijiji could run me $25-50. I was going to go that route until a coworker pointed out that sometimes people put free stuff on kijiji to give away. I checked and low and behold someone was giving away a set of used junior clubs. I made contact and picked them up last night. I showed my son when we got home and he said that it was Epic! So there is that :D

Now back when I started playing golf I played with my Dad (15-18 handicap) and my little brother 1 1/2 years my junior. My little brother (I have 3 older brothers) was a natural. At one point he went from hitting 140 to 110. That same game I went from 140 to 120. I have since been a semi-solid 110 on average. So when my Dad tought us it was more of the school of look at me do what I do and don`t lift your head. Do you how many times I was told "you lifted your head" after a crappy shot? Many many times. Anyway I am going to take my son out this week. we are going to go the the range and if he picks it up quickly then we may even head to Patton`s Glen 9 hole Par 3 for a 9 hole round. I think the place is great for me to work on my irons off the tee, chipping and putting. I also think it is the perfect place to teach an 8 year old how to play. It is quiet and not very big.

My approach to teaching my son what I know is going to be interesting. I plan on having a "Golf is fun!" approach. I gave up the game in my 20s because I wasn`t getting any better and didn`t get the proper instruction. That`s okay and I don`t blame my Dad. He was not a teacher. I guess he figured I would learn the way he did by playing. I need instruction. Nowadays I get it from youtube videos and from a book. It is my hope that I can teach my son in a way that doesn`t turn him away from golf like what happened to me.

Oh and by the way I will never tell my son "you lifted your head" after a crappy shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment