Wednesday, August 3, 2016

50 putts in a row or bust!

Hey,

How are you guys?

I am doing pretty good. Instead of my normal Patton`s Glen 9 hole par 3 round I made this.

So I will start at the beginning. I found a youtube video that described an indoor golf mat that had a hole cut out. Here is the video that inspired me. Inexpensive Indoor Putting Green to beat VD (Vitamin D Deficiency)

So I decided to buy some foam mats to lay down as a base and I bought a 6`x8` artificial grass carpet.

I cut the grass carpet in half so that I can lay them out to get a longer putting surface to work on weight or roll distance for those 9`-10` putts.

I also marked and cut holes in two of the foam mat tiles. (my dog Benjamin checking out my work as dogs are excellent supervisors)

Next I placed the carpet on the floor grass side down, and placed the mat on top. I then marked and cut out the holes in the grass carpet.
So after that I flipped them over. Here is a close up of one of the ends.
Here as above is the final work placed end to end. 4`x 12`.

Here is one of  my cats Whistler enjoying a nap on my new indoor putting green.
When finished I will need to pack everything up because I don`t want my cats sparpening thier claws on my new putting green.


So as for performance. I learned I need to pin the carpet to the mats using regular old push pins. As I walked around on the carpet it would move and the holes would need to be realigned. As well walking on it can create rolls and bumps that make the golf balls break while rolling at slow speeds. The grain of the grass does this as well.

I measured out 3` from one of the holes and started practicing. I read somewhere that an effective putting drill is try to make 50 putts in a row. If you miss one you start your count over.

Well I practiced that from 3`. It took me 5-6 attempts. I missed at 10, 15, 24, 32, 31...

However I did manage to make 50 in a row before going to bed. I wasn`t up too late.

I think what I will learn from using this green is the proper weight I need and how to roll the ball well. I think I will also learn how to stike it pure with the putter so I get a balanced non-wobbley roll.

I am not sure how well the 50 putt or bust practice will work on longer distances but I am going to practice them anyway.

The goal is to become a putting sniper inside 5` and to be an effective two putter from 10`.

I will try to go to Patten`s Glen this Friday.

Be good, and if you can`t be good don`t get caught!

Dave McBride aka The Golfing Gamer


No comments:

Post a Comment