Sunday, August 14, 2016

Best game Evar! My latest After action report


Hey Gang,

I hope everyone is doing well. I am doing great just to let you know.

So I joined an old friend (Kenley Two Putts) on the golf course this morning. We went to Meadowbrook Golf Club in Cote St-Luc.

As we started my drives were not really that good. I have to try and get the feeling back I had on my first 18 hole round this season. However my first hole I managed to bogey because my Nike 4 hybrid was on fire. It became my work horse of the day. Incidentally I was also trying out those "new" clubs I got off of Kijiji. It also started to drizzle. We soldiered on.  A hole or two later the rain stopped.

I did not start out with a goal this game. I set out to play and have some fun. And I was hoping my work so far would pay off. However I did end up working on something during the round.

I have been a fan of Be Better Golf for a while now

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHgV07QZNSbB88gJIkJDUZg

Brendon gets lessons from a Pro. named Monte Scheinblum. I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELnk6TUU4a4

Basically Monte explains a short game technique where you develop the feel of swinging the club like you would toss a golf ball by hand.

So I tried this today. When I took my practice swings I estimated the power it would take to toss a golf ball the distance I wanted. I then tried to have the same power and feel on my actual strike. As it turned out this worked really well for me. I was able to land a bunch of really nice up and down short chips with my 52 degree Gap Wedge. I also used the putting chip technique when I wanted to play it safe and chip and run it to the hole. I had two sand bunker shots both were well done from very wet sand.

I gave my driver a rest after the third bad drive. I then started driving with my 4 Nike hybrid. I had mixed results but at least I wasn't out of bounds and taking extra strokes because of really bad drives. I would take out the driver again later on to good effect. Of my last four holes three of them I was back to my drives being decent.

So we finished 14 and Kenley Two Putts wasn't feeling good so he stopped. He said he would meet me on the 18th hole. So I continued and played the last four holes solo. The first time I have ever done that on an 18 hole course.

I looked at my score card at that point. I had scored 55 on the front 9 and I was +9 on the back 9 and had 4 holes to go. I then had a goal. My previous best was on this golf course. I had hit a 110 that day. So as long as I could hit less than 10 over par on the last 4 holes I would beat my personal record.

So I teed up and whacked on into the Club's driving range. Not a good start. I took another shot and managed to hit a pretty good drive. I then took my second shot but 3 stroke. My trusty Nike 4 hybrid did not fail me. I got to about 50 yards from the green. I then pitched it on to the edge of the green. I was om the green in 5. I was realistically looking at a 7 right. Well the golf gods shined down on me. I holed it in one putt! My longest putt of the day. So of course nobody was there to see it. I fist pumped anyway :)

I bogeyed the next hole. I was happy with that. My game fell apart on the next hole it took my 9 strokes to hole that one.

So going into the 18th hole I needed to par or bogey to beat my personal best. I teed up and hit a nice fade into the light rough. I then took out trusty Nike 4 Hybrid. I hit it solid and put the ball in a green side sand bunker. I wasn't worried. I have been pretty good out of bunkers this year. The trick I have found to bunkers is hit it harder than you would to try and get the same distance. Anyway I hit a nice flop shot out of the bunker about 5 feet from the hole. I then putt the 5 footer for par. I hadn't actually done the math going into the 18th. I knew though a par result would be big. It was indeed. I scored a 53 on the back nine making my total 108!

Now that may seem high to good golfers but when you have been working hard to improve and you actually see results. That is something to celebrate. My last round at Bellevue was a 116. Hitting a 108 Meadowbrook was not only much better but also a personal best. I was pretty happy with my playing today.

On a side note we had a hawk hang out with us close to the green on 4th hole. As well I got really lucky on one hole when I miss hit and my ball was going to sail over the green. Instead my ball hit the pin and landed 15ft. from the hole.  

I had a great day of golf with an old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment